Scale of Model:
Global 39 Scale = 1.44" (36.6mm) Wingspan
1/700 Scale = 1.23" (31.4mm) Wingspan
1/600 Scale = 1.44" (36.6mm) Wingspan
Rules on how to use this piece in HBG's Global War Game.
Gliders must be placed at a factory when produced
Gliders move with their base unit, which must be either a strategic bomber
(unless stated otherwise) or an air transport.
Such an aircraft has its range reduced by 2 when towing a glider. A glider can otherwise move “1” in
non-combat movement. A glider remains
in the zone it attacks and does not return with the towing unit.
A glider can transport 1 infantry in
combat movement. That infantry need not be an airborne but may not be a
Gliders must be delivered to their destination and have no combat move of their
own. Upon reaching their destination
they and their towing aircraft are subject to AA fire. After AA fire, Gliders land in the zone and
units from them can participate in the attack.
Units attacking from a glider may not retreat. Gliders are destroyed if the territory is not
captured by the attacking units.
Gliders may never be launched from a carrier.
As base unit
Glider: The DFS-230 Glider
may deliver 1 infantry unit.
(Start of War)
The DFS 230 was a German transport glider operated by the Luftwaffe in World War II. It was developed in 1933 by the Deutsche Forschungsanstalt für Segelflug (DFS - "German Research Institute for Sailplane Flight") with Hans Jacobs as the head designer. The glider was the German inspiration for the British Hotspur glider and was intended for paratrooper assault operations.
The glider could carry 9 soldiers with equipment or a payload of about 1,200 kg. They were used in the landings at Fort Eben-Emael and Crete, as well as in North Africa and in the rescue of Benito Mussolini and for supplying the defenders of Festung Budapest, until February 12, 1945.
Specifications (DFS 230 B-1)
Data from Aircraft of the Third Reich, German Aircraft of the Second World War
- Crew: 1
- Capacity: 9 equipped troops + 270 kg
- Length: 11.24 m (36 ft 11 in)
- Wingspan: 21.98 m (72 ft 1 in)
- Height: 2.74 m (9 ft 0 in)
- Wing area: 41.3 m2 (445 sq ft)
- Empty weight: 860 kg (1,896 lb)
- Gross weight: 2,040 kg (4,497 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 2,100 kg (4,630 lb)
- Never exceed speed: 290 km/h (180 mph; 157 kn)
- Maximum towing speed: 209 km/h (130 mph)
- Normal towing speed: 180 km/h (112 mph)
- Maximum glide ratio: 1:11 (empty), 1:18 (fully loaded)
- 1 x 7.92 mm (0.312 in) MG 15 machine gun on a manually aimed mounting aft of the cockpit
- 2 x 7.92 mm MG 34 fixed forward firing machine guns attached to the forward fuselage sides.